Fashion DIY & Orly Shani

Thursday, January 19, 2017

For those of you who know me, know I love fashion. I had a personal style blog for six years before turning my attention to blogging about motherhood, McKinley, and our adventures around Kansas City. And from to time to time, I'm sharing my Mama Style File opinions about current trends and what I'm wearing while running around town. If only I could find a way to incorporate my heels....

When I discovered the Hallmark Channel show Home and Family a couple of Christmas's ago, I found my fashion spirit animal, Orly Shani! I watched her years ago on a show on E! called The Fabulist. A precursor to Fashion Police, Shani, along with Kristin Cavallari, would talk about the current trends in fashion and beauty. Prior to The Fabulist, Orly was seen on the NBC reality show, Fashion Star which appeared to be based loosely on the Bravo hit Project Runway. I have to admit I never watched it. Wah, wah.... When the show aired, Orly designed on the principle that all women should have quality, multi-functional garments at a great value.  

In 2010, Orly started tuc+wes, a colorful collection of convertible t-shirts. And, it was based on tuc+wes that Orly was chosen as a designer on Fashion Star. Orly designed the “convertible skirt” which became the highlight of the season and made her a stand out designer. The convertible skirt was a tight miniskirt under a chiffon over-skirt that could be removed with a zipper. Orly has taken the knowledge she gained on the show and is currently expanding tuc+wes into a full e-commerce retailer providing weekly fashion under $50. And she has introduced her own Tuc+Wes Collection. If you haven't checked out the site, go now! Shop some of the coolest, easiest pieces for a super chic daily look! And I love the under $50 concept! 

As the resident fashion guru on Home and Family, she brings us some of the best DIY projects that I've taken on at home! What I love, is that she's taking major designer runway pieces and making them available to those of us who can't afford $1000 camo jackets or custom clutches. Remember the Butterfly Field Jacket? Designed originally by Valentino, and retailing at roughly $2000, it was a gorgeous bomber. However, who can afford a $2000 jacket? The DIY version was so easy and one of my all time favorite things to wear! Then there was the 3-D paint Spider Web sweater. These are two of the most complimented pieces I've made and it I wouldn't have them in my wardrobe if it weren't for Orly. 



On my list of things to recreate are the Peace stenciled jacket, the fringe concert tee, the Palm Tree jacket for summer, and the newly added Confetti sweater inspired by the Anthropologie version that retails for $150. 

I mean, a Mama has to have the latest fashion trends at an affordable price, right? And when you can make it yourself, it's even better! And thanks to Orly Shani, I can do that! Now, if I could capture her effortless style and obtain that enviable hair!

What do you like to DIY? Have you tried the any of the fashion DIY posts I've shared? Let me know! I would love to see them!

XO,
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. MakmurQQ Adalah Situs Tempat Bermain PKV Games Resmi Deposit Pulsa Menyediakan PokerQQ, DominoQQ, BandarQ, BandarQQ, Domino99, Poker Online Dan Daftar QQ Online.

    ReplyDelete

 
electric toothbrush