Getting Organized: McKinley's Space

Monday, October 3, 2016

I don't think that there will ever be a time where I say, my house if finished! It's organized to the point where I can finally sit back and look at all I've done! Never going to happen. I have kitchen cabinets, a linen closet, a coat closet, and a playroom on the list of things that have to be organized and now! But, I really wanted to create a little space for McKinley, even if he only uses it from time to time. 

I blogged several weeks ago about whether I make him a work space for school activities or just let him use the age old kitchen table. So far, we've been using the kitchen table, but I was still determined to make him a small space that was just his. You never know if he decided he just needed a moment to himself to create. (I have to mention that this weekend he told us he was inspired to create an ice skating rink and that he was going to draw it when we got home. I loved that he used inspired!)

I got to work about a week or so ago getting his room prepped for the space. I removed the brown chair that we used for late night/early morning feedings since he doesn't use it and it was just taking up room. Don't worry, we didn't get rid of it completely. It's now housed in one of my mom's spare bedrooms and it looks perfect!


The blank space!


 I then cleaned off the table in his playroom to get ready for the move. Um, do you see this table? It took me about 10 minutes to clear. And I threw half of it away!


I can't believe that table ever looked like that! So, after taking 10 minutes to rid the clutter, I moved it up three flights of stairs to its new home. And this guy is heavy! 



Since then, I've moved the table a little and added some cute details. My mom knew I was on the hunt for a cute art supply caddy. I didn't want something plastic. I wanted something sturdier and chic for the space. My mom found this perfect piece at Michael's and it's exactly what I had in mind. I was even going to sketch something and have my dad help me make it. Thanks, Michael's!




This little storage box is what started this whole process! It used to be housed in a corner in my kitchen and it became the catch all for everthing related to McKinley. Anything he brought home artwork wise wound up in this box. And, it also housed all of his art supplies and so many other things. It was spilling over and it was so unsightly. I wasn't sure what to do with it after it was all cleaned out so I turned it into a storage unit for all of the other art supplies like finger paint paper, his sketch pad, bottles of paint, and finger paint tubes. It fits nicely beside his changing table, that I turned into a mini library, and is right next to the new art station. I love it!



I love his new space and Joel does too. His favorite piece is the art supply caddy! It cleaned up the room, made it a big boy space, and it gives him a place that's all his. And, it helped me contain the clutter and take space back in my kitchen. And I have big plans for that space. 

What are some of the ways you organize your home? Do you ever feel like you're done or do you have that constant list of things to do? One day, I'll get there...

XO,
Andrea

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush