Healthy Eating - Overnight Oats

Monday, August 29, 2016

The first time I had ever heard of overnight oats was on an episode of The Pioneer Woman. Apparently, she had them during a trip to Colorado and started making them at home. At first I was little skeptical, but intrigued at the same time. Oatmeal in a jar, that you make the day before, store in the fridge, and then eat cold. I'm not a huge fan of cold oatmeal. 

I love oatmeal, but get bored with the same instant packet flavors. My favorite is Cinnamon Spice, but it's hard to find, and I can't stand the Apple Cinnamon. Those dried apples have a hard texture at times. I started thinking again about the overnight oats. 

I've been eating like crap lately. And it's starting to show. Jeans are a little snug, double chin is starting to form, and I just feel sluggish. I went to the doctor the other day, only to find out I have allergies, and had to be weighed beforehand. Why is that? I'm going in for congestion and a low grade fever. I'm pretty sure my weight has nothing to do with it. However, I was weighed and that number sucked!! It caused me to really start thinking about healthier eating habits.

I started scouring Pinterest for overnight oat recipes, and while grocery shopping yesterday, I started stocking up on different ingredients from the recipes I found. There are so many options! For my first attempt, I went with a vanilla almond with blueberries that I found on Tastes Lovely Pinterest page. However, I'm not a fan of nuts, so I skipped the actual almonds and went with the almond milk. And it's good. I don't miss the sugar, brown or regular, and it's super filling. I feel good about what I'm having for breakfast, something I skip because I don't have time to make it yet I make it for McKinley every morning, and I'm hoping it sticks with me for the entire morning.

It was super easy to make, and the best part, I have no excuse for not eating something healthy in the morning. It's right there in the fridge!





 



 

 I must admit, I didn't eat it directly out of the fridge. I heated mine up. I just can't imagine eating cold oatmeal. And, what I'm most shocked about, is that I didn't miss the sugar. It seems almost unnecessary now that I've had it like this. There are several different recipes I'm going to try. I'm thinking the pumpkin version and apple cinnamon (made with applesauce) sound great for fall. And loading it up with various berries couldn't be horrible, right? 

Have you tried overnight oats? Is it something that sounds appealing? If you are currently eating it, what are some of your favorite recipes? I'm always up for a recipe swap.

XO,
Andrea 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush