Kitchen Updates: Dressing Up My Cabinets

Monday, September 26, 2016

I have a confession to make. I'm obsessed with vintage dinnerware! And, I am the proud owner of three different sets. I also own four additional sets, all different in pattern, that aren't vintage. And, I have my own wedding china. That's a lot of dishes! But I can't help myself. When I see a really cool pattern, especially one that's Mid Century Modern, I have to have them. And recently, well over the summer, my mom and I picked up a chic set from a boutique in the West Bottoms called Goldie & Myrtle's. They've been in a box in my parents garage and I had almost forgotten about them. Almost!

While helping my mom with a neighborhood garage sale, she mentioned that I needed to take my box of dishes home. And I agreed, but I wasn't sure where I was going to put them. My storage cabinets are full of other dinnerware! Okay, that's not true. They are full of holiday decorations, platters, and other junk! But then I started thinking. My newest set only had a place setting for six, with no glassware, and that wouldn't really fill up the cabinet space. Then I remembered that several years ago, when visiting family in TN, my great aunt gave me my great grandmother's china. Used only on Christmas Eve, this sweet set of china was just sitting in the basement. Guess who brought it home! It is the prettiest design that's incredibly delicate, just like Grannie Helton, and it really complimented the more modern 60s design of the other set. And, it came with glassware! Perfect. 

Then while chatting with my mom about using both patterns, I remembered we purchased pink cocktail glasses years ago and they are a little on the vintage side. Because Grannie's pattern has a hint of pink in the design, we both agreed that pink would make the whole thing pop. So last week I got to it and updated my kitchen with the new to me dinnerware! I replaced my current black and white patterned dishes with blue and white and it brightened up the entire space! I love it! We aren't using them. Instead, I'm now using my Barn Yard pieces. They are darling!! 

Check out my updated kitchen cabinet! This is my cabinet before:


My great grandmother's sweet china!



The blue glasses and coffee mugs were Grannie's and the pink glasses are the ones we found years ago. Such a great compliment to one another.

 
  

My Mid Century Mod find!

 

 

The new updated cabinet!


I love it! The colors are perfect together and that pop of pink with the cocktail glasses is what really brings it all together. I find this to be an easy way to update your kitchen. And if you notice, I don't have cabinet doors. That's not by mistake! My original Pottery Barn dishes were too long for the doors to close, so we took them off. And, after 14 years of living here, I've never thought about putting them back on! A little worried on your end? Replace the cabinet fronts with glass. It will allow the visual presence of your dishware, but you don't have to worry about the dust collection!

How do you update your kitchen? Are you a re-painter or do you just stick with what works? I would love to hear your feedback!

Happy Monday!

XO,
Andrea

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush