Road Trippin'

Monday, June 12, 2017

As you may be reading this, I'm on the road! My mom and McKinley have joined me on a road trip to Oklahoma. Pawhuska, Oklahoma to be exact. If you're wondering what in the world is in Pawhuska, then clearly you don't watch much Food Network. It's the home of Ree Drummond and her new(ish) renovated Mercantile. We are so excited!

But if you're anything like me, getting ready for any trip is a full-time job! I've been planning the details for a little over a week and worked my rear off yesterday getting it all together. I'm super detailed when it comes to packing for any trip, but a road trip is very different. Why? Because it's a long time in the backseat of a car for anyone, but especially my six year old. Remember the day when we took road trips? All I had were a few books, and as a teenager, my trusty walkman. And that as it! And we would drive through the night on long trips. Trust me, there was nothing to do in the dark of night in the backseat of the car.

McKinley has a DVD player and a phone to keep him entertained. However, we never make through the night road trips, so it's usually electronic entertainment along the way during the day. However, I'm hoping to keep him entertained in other ways during our trip. I've got coloring books, crayons, markers, a huge pad of blank paper for drawing, books for him to read to us, and Bingo road trip games. And he told me we would be playing I Spy, cloud spotting, and counting water towers. Bring it on!

Then I started thinking. How can I keep it all organized back there so that he can reach for a few things while I drive. Normally my husband drives, but since it's just me and my mom, I'm driving. She's not so good in car, that motion sickness thing and all, so I needed to make sure things were accessible to both him and her. I found a rubber basket at the Dollar Tree and that will house all of his electronic devices. He can search and find that he needs. Then I found a little plastic caddy to house all the crayons, markers, pencils, and books. I'm hoping with the little handle, he can grab it off the seat when he needs it. And, it's all contained in the backseat!


However, that's just the tail end of the prep. Earlier in the week, I started my list making. I'm a huge list maker for trips. I plan out my wardrobe, and now McKinley's, so that we don't over pack. I write all the items we need to pack so I don't forget those either. Let's be honest, how many times have you walked off and forgotten to pack something as simple as your toothpaste? Sure, the hotel has toiletries available, but when your child freaks out at the taste of mint, you write down toothpaste!! And, how about that time you forgot to pack your birth control and you had to call your doctor to send over a prescription to a local Walmart just so you didn't miss a few days! You bet I wrote down birth control! Like I said, I live by lists!



Just in case you were wondering, here are the looks for the few days we'll be gone! He is going to look adorable. And, we are all wearing white on Tuesday as it's supposed to be in the low 90s! When you're standing in lines, you need light colored clothes and hats!



Oh, and then there's doing my research before we go anywhere! I'm all about scoping out the best restaurants, things to do, where to stay, and possible stops along the way. For this trip, I found all the things to do in Pawhuska, and around the area, based on the Mercantile's website. And, I printed it out! I've also got restaurants with kid menus and the addresses. And on the way home, we're stopping in Independence, KS to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum. As child, my dad would read a chapter a night from her books, and I clung to every word. I've already visited the museum in Mansfield, MO. It's amazing and I highly recommend it.


We also have snacks! You can't have a road trip without snacks! And that's it! I think we're ready! I can't wait to tell you all about our trip. I am so excited about the Mercantile, but I'm also excited to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder landmark. These are the kind of trips I live for!

What do you do to prep for trips? What do you do when riding in the car? We would love to hear your tips!

XO,
Andrea

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush