DIY Halloween Patch Jeans

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

 We are on the cusp of the entire holiday season circuit, and if you've been into any store recently, you will see Halloween everywhere. It is also popping up on my Facebook and Instagram feeds. Cute holiday clothing that's not in your face cheesy or old fashioned will always speak my love language. I saw these darling distressed jeans, with various holiday themes and other cute design motifs, on a site called Evaless. But instead of dropping $50, I knew that I could recreate the look for well under $50. Dare I say $25? And I did! And I can help you with yours!



First, you need a pair of distressed jeans. If you have a pair that you're tired of, and want to upcycle them for this DIY, go for it! I love all of my existing distressed jeans so I picked up this pair at Savers for $4.99! That's right, under $5 and we're still under budget. My mom had a ton of cute Halloween fabric in her sewing room, so I borrowed hers. I didn't spend any extra money there, but I can tell you that you can get remnants from your local craft store or a 1/4 of a yard in several different motifs. I found some darling pre-cut bundles on their website. They are on sale for $9. So we are now at $14. 




You will need fabric glue. I have tons of bottles, in various sizes, so if you aren't planning to use much, get the smallest bottle they offer. You can get a 2oz bottle for under $4 at Joann's as well. That's a total of $18 so far.



You will need to pin your fabric pieces into place. Do you have pins? If not, pick up a pack of 75 count for under $4. That's $22! We are under the $25 budget. Look at us go!


So now we get started. Look at your fabric. Does one speak to you more than another? For me, it was the white piece with the darling witches dress, hat, broom, and ghost. And because the knee had the largest distressed area on the jeans, I decided my favorite should go there. I cut a piece larger than the hole I was covering. Place your fabric from inside the leg of your jeans and move it around until you find the perfect scene in the window. Pin it in place. Do the same thing for all the distressed areas you want to cover on your jeans. 










I even decided to cut a small hole in the back pocket, on the opposite corner of the distressed front pocket, to create a mirrored effect. I used the same fabrics for both pocket.



Now it's time to glue your fabric into place. Turn your jeans inside out, being careful not to poke yourself with the exposed pins. Full disclosure, I do it all the time!






Add the glue in a thin continuous line either across the fabric patch or around the hole you are covering. Make sure you put the glue on the right side of the fabric, as that's the picture that will face out of the distressed portion of your jeans. Place the fabric where you want it, moving it around if need be. Do that quickly as this stuff will start to dry, making it hard to remove. Do this for every patch of fabric you've cut. Allow 24 hours to dry. Cut away an excess fabric that you don't want.









And just like that, you have knock off Halloween patch jeans for under $25!! I'm planning to recreate a Christmas themed pair and maybe one for Valentine's Day, because why not! I love a good holiday piece that may seem a little corny, but that I can give my own personal style to jazz it up!




What do you think? Is this something you would recreate? 


Happy DIYing!

XO,

Andrea

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush