DIY Fabric Pumpkins

Monday, October 12, 2020

 Do I have the cutest fall DIY for you!! I love pumpkins! We have been to two different patches over the past couple of weekends and I can't stop buying them! We are up to at least 20 on our front porch! It's a little out of control. I wanted to bring the pumpkin look into the house without having so many real ones. You know, rotting, oozing goo, dirt, so I opted for a few small real ones and several foam versions for our newly painted fireplace hearth! I can't get enough of our updated fireplace and all the different ways I can decorate it. And the fabric pumpkins are a perfect addition!



I think I bought out Michael's white pumpkin selection when I was there a couple of weeks ago. They were on sale and I couldn't be stopped. I wanted as many sizes as possible for this DIY, but as it turns out, the small and medium size worked best for my display. However, I have plans for the larger ones left behind. Stay tuned.... 

Here are all the things you need!

Foam pumpkins in any color and size. 

Fabric! Lots of fabric in all the colors you want for your decor. Originally, I thought I wanted to go with black and white for Halloween, then while "shopping" in my mom's sewing room closet, I ran across two different fabrics that were perfect compliments to one another. A small green and cream check cotton and an orange and brown plaid flannel. Love them together! What you do next is cut the fabric into very long strips. I went as wide as 2", but the length depends entirely on how big your pumpkin is. You will cut off the excess underneath and the remainder will be used time and time again to line the entire circumference of your pumpkin. That means you need scissors. 

Hot glue, lots of it, and a medic at the ready! I can't tell you exactly how many times I burned myself on this project, but I can tell you that I burned myself three times in same spot! Martha Stewart wasn't kidding when she said to keep a bowl of ice water beside you for these instances! It's hot! It's right there in the title!

Twine. I decided half way through the project that I didn't like the fake stem and decided to make own. I wrapped twine around the stem, also making sure to cover any raw edges around the top. It cleaned up the whole pumpkin and made a super cute rustic stem! 

So here is how you make it! Grab the pumpkin, the fabric, the glue, and scissors. Start with the glue, make a line along the crease of the pumpkin, and then place the fabric along the glue. Continue to do this all the way around the pumpkin, making sure to overlap the fabric so that none of the pumpkin shows.







Once you have completed this step, it's time to cover all those raw edges. The photos are a little out of sequence as I had finished the green one, making sure I liked how it turned out, before I took detailed step by step pics. I didn't like how the edges were frayed and unclean so I decided to fold the strips of fabric in half down the middle, gluing each side into itself. Make sense?






Here is the new piece that will you place along the raw edges of the fabric.


Like you did the wider strips, run a bead of glue along the frayed edge and place the new folded fabric along the glue line. Do this all around the pumpkin until all the edges are clean.







Ta-Da!!


See the ugly fake stem? Not cute!



Now it is! Just run the glue and the twine all around the stem, making sure to hide the edges of the fabric as well. Like I said, rustic chic, no?



Here is completed version of the orange and brown plaid flannel.


Aren't they a perfect mix with the real? And the colors play off the black hearth so well. I am one happy Mama!


And the great thing is, I didn't really need Halloween pumpkins to play up the Halloween decorations that are already going on along the mantel! Just remove the Halloween and I'm set on November 1st! CUUUTE!!


A super easy DIY that's a little on the time consuming side. But that's okay. I got mine done while watching a Hallmark Channel movie or two! It did take me about two or three days to complete all three so give yourself time for this project. And once you do, you are going to love them!!

XO,
Andrea



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush