Party Planning - McKinley's Turning Seven

Monday, March 26, 2018

I am at it again! Party planning. I'm telling ya, it's one of my favorite things on earth. That, and updating my house! I've been on a roll in the kitchen, with just a few more things to do, and then I will share the update with the world! Or, with the few of you who read this blog. But as I wait for those final touches, I am planning McKinley's seventh birthday party. I can't believe he will be seven it two weeks. 

It's getting harder and harder to come with up a birthday party theme. When he was little, it was all about Sesame Street or his favorite Disney show/character. Last year it was a bowling party and we thought about a skating one this year, but decided to keep it at home. But then what do you do to entertain a mix of seven year old boys and girls for a couple of hours? As I was poking around Pinterest, looking for boy birthday party ideas, it hit me. A painting party! McKinley is so into art right now. He loves to draw, color, paint, and craft, so a painting party seemed to be the best option. And, I think it will be so much fun watching the kids create their own individual masterpiece. So what do you do at a painting party and how do you prep for one? Well let me tell you!

We have purchased blank white canvases. You can't create a masterpiece if you don't have a canvas. I headed to Michael's and got a 10 pack of canvases for little of nothing. They are 8X10 which I think is a perfect size. Each child will have their own space at the kitchen table to create. We thought about having a little easel per kid, but decided they can just paint with it laying down flat. I think it will crowd the table otherwise. We have aprons for each child and I will write their names on each one and have them at their work space. From Amazon, we ordered paint palettes and I will add paint to each slot. I'm going with primary colors only. No need to get crazy. And I got a huge pack of paint brushes for them to share. I will also have cups of water for rinsing and towels to clean their brushes. It's going to be so much fun!

Because it's in the middle of the afternoon, I plan to serve colorful snacks. Fruit in rainbow colors, colorful Goldfish, and possibly veggies or cheese. And maybe a fun punch! However, I don't really want red stains all over the carpet.... We'll have cake for sure, and if I can get my act together, sugar cookies in the shape of paint palettes as a take home gift. And because it's a theme not used very often, I'm getting creative with my decor and accents. For instance, we like to have candles on his cake that go with the theme of the party. Well, have you been able to find paint brush candles? Yeah, we haven't either. So, I'm going to take a tip from Maria Provenzano and make my own birthday candles! Check out the how-to video here. I just love the idea of making my own candles that go with the theme of the party. Especially with how cute the cake is going to be. I can't wait to get started!



Oh, and there will be a photo wall! I can't quite figure out how I want it to look, or how I'm going to make it work, but I have the cutest props for the kids to use when taking pics. I'm thinking as they come in, or after they've painted and we're transitioning from art to cake, but honestly it all depends on how the day is going! It's hard to plan something like this. Here are some of the ideas I've found. I'm also thinking of taking a plain white cloth, splattering it with paint, and then hanging it over a wall. We could make a large picture frame that the kids could stand behind, but it could be just as cute with the splatter paint background. We shall see.




I think I'm more excited about the party ideas than McKinley. If he had his choice, we would be hanging out at the local trampoline place in town. However, the more I talk up the fun things I've planned, he's getting a little more excited. He's just happy to be having his friends over and talking all about the fun things they're going to play after the party is over. For that, I've got some ideas of my own. If it's a nice afternoon, early April can be dicey, I'm thinking the driveway will make the perfect palette for some sidewalk chalk fun. A little hopscotch, Monster Jam obstacle courses, and any other idea they can think of that allows them to use their imagination. I love watching little minds at work!

So, what do you think of the idea of painting party? A crafting party would be super fun too. So many ways to get your child creating. Those little minds can dream up wonders, no?

Happy Monday!
XO,
Andrea

All photos courtesy of Pinterest.

1 comment:

 
electric toothbrush