Back To School: First Grade

Friday, August 11, 2017

Today is the first day of school and I can't believe my baby boy is off to First Grade. And as a result, I found myself in tears the other night. Everyone had gone to bed and I was alone watching TV. I'm not even sure what I might have been watching so I don't think it triggered the emotion. I simply started to cry. I've loved having him as my constant companion this summer and I'm going to miss him terribly!


I've had those Mama moments.... Yes, I have found myself tensing up when I heard "Mama" for the thousandth time in a day. Sure we had our arguments. Of course there were times where I wished for peace and quiet as he made a train whistle as loud as he could or ran through the whole squealing at the top of his lungs. It grated on my nerves each and every time, and now my house is going to be so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I've really tried to remember that this week as all of these same scenarios played out and I found myself reacting each time. Taking a deep breath, I would mutter under it, "This is the last week before school. You are going to miss all of this come Friday morning." It truly is the best test of patience!


We were back to our "normal" routine this morning. Up and dressed for breakfast. Me scouring around getting all the morning details finalized while he ate. Taking that first day of school picture and begging him to look at my and smile, and then our drive to school. But I thought I would be more emotional than I was. I felt so excited for him. And he seemed excited himself. He found his cubby, hung up his backpack, double checked where his lunchbox was for his morning snack, and then found his place at his work table. It was old hat for him and I loved it. He was worried about not knowing his table mates, but I assured him that they would be well acquainted before school was over today. He seemed at ease.


My husband took the day off to take him to school and be there to pick him up as well. And as we drove home, after spending some time with fellow parents at the back to school coffee, we talked about our own nerves. But their our nerves, not his. We worry that he will like school. Be eager to learn. Make new friends. And deep down, we know that the answer is yes to all of these. Look at that face! Is that a face that says I don't like school? No! He screams excitement. He is eager to learn. That's evident in the questions he asks all day long. He is the sweetest kids with the kindest heart, so making friends won't be an issue. McKinley is going to rock First Grade!

I can't wait to see what this year brings for all of us! "School days, school days, dear old golden rule days" is the truth! We can all learn from this experience of school. It was about time I learned 'rithmetic!



Happy First Day of School!

XO,
Andrea


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush