KC Date Night - Kansas City Power & Light

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Over the weekend, Joel and I had a long overdue date night. We don't get out very often. I think our last date night was the night we went to Applebee's a couple of weeks ago, and that was because McKinley had an impromptu sleep over at my parents house. Before that, I'm not sure when it was! How sad is that. 

I used to make fun of my parents on Friday nights when I found them in their comfy clothes around 6:00 and ready for bed around 9:00. I used to tell them that they were the most boring people ever, and now at 42, I've found that I've become my parents! Seriously, I'm usually in my comfy clothes around 5:30, eating dinner an hour later, and praying that McKinley is ready for bed before 9:00 so that I can lay down too. Boring!!

Joel took us to see Ron White at the Midland last Friday night and was he hilarious. And speaking of boring, prior to purchasing our tickets, he asked me if I wanted to see the 6:30 or 9:00 show. I laughed out loud at the option and said we should probably opt for the 6:30. I mean, seeing a show at 9:30, that was so late! Joel looked at it like this. Because Ron likes to part-take in an adult beverage, or two, during his show (and possibly more between shows) he thought he might be a little over-served come 9:30. Smart Joel, and far less boring than my decision to see the 6:30 show. 

With a 6:30 show, dinner was going to be hard to come by, so we thought we might swing through a drive-thru on on our way. That didn't happen. So when we did get downtown, we weren't really sure what we would find. As we made our way to the Midland, we found a hotdog vendor right outside. Nothing sounds better than a hotdog vendor on Friday night! And I'm being honest! I love hotdogs and I love a vendor dog even better. A little chard around the edges, smoke billowing out of the cart, grabbing for the same condiments as others around.....perfection. We shared a bottle of water, and while we stood on the sidewalk chowing down on the dogs, I was in heaven. Pretty great start to the night.

We don't get downtown very often. The random concert at Sprint Center, the occasional traveling comic show (we saw Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy last year), or a Saturday matinee for our Broadway tour season tickets. But when we do, I always feel a little more sophisticated, grown up, special. There is just something about that downtown vibe, and ours is growing and thriving! I love that there are not only restaurants and clubs, but lofts and gyms. People are working, living, eating, and shopping in our once desolate downtown and it's so exciting to witness. I wish we were able to get down there more often. 

Okay, back to our date. Ron White was hysterical. He had all new material, which I appreciated. I love his old stuff, but it's always nice to get some new things to laugh about and he totally delivered. At one point I laughed so hard I couldn't breath. The best kind of laughter. The kind of laughter that is a good for the soul. When the show was over, my mood was totally lifted. But the date didn't stop there.

We decided to take advantage of our night out, and the sleepover that McKinley was having with my parents, and hit the town. Okay, hit KCP&L District which was where were to begin with. I like trying new restaurants when we're out. Places we don't have in the burbs. We walked around a bit, trying to decide what sounded good, and found out that Third Eye Blind was playing. Fun that a 90s band was hanging out in the heart of downtown on a summer night, but that meant the place was packed. Finding a table was going to be a challenge. Or so we thought. We ended up finding a "communal" table Leinenkugel's KC. I loved it!! A super bright and airy place that was bustling. I loved their floor to ceiling subway tiles behind the bar, butcher block table tops with metal chairs and bar stools, and white washed "Shiplap" on the walls. A great spot for a couple of beverages and appetizers. Right now, my summer beer has been the Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, which I ordered, but I also tried their Wheat which was just as tasty. Joel sipped on Jack Daniel's and water and we shared Truffle Fries and Homemade Chicken Wings. I loved the Truffle Fries, and their homemade dipping sauce, but I didn't really love the chicken wings. They were made with a dark meat, which I'm not a fan, and appeared a little greasy. And not the grease of the deep fryer. However, Joel devoured them, so I think he liked them. Some things I would like to try the next time are the Pretzel Knots, Beer Battered Onion Rings, and the Beer Cheese Sliders....I think I see a pattern.

From there, we walked around a little, and decided to head home. I had the idea to grab dessert on our way home, but decided to just eat the sugar cookie bars I had baked earlier in the week. We were home by 11:00, in our pj's a little after that, and I was asleep on the couch before 11:30! Hey, I made it past 9:00!! That's a huge date night. Not so boring either.

Here are a few photos I captured on our little night out!




 


 It really was nice to get out and about and do something than our typical weekend routine. I love routines, but it is nice to change things up. I look forward to our next outing and I hope to be able to bring it to you. I want to try and explore a little more like we used to ten years ago. With the growth, and exciting things taking place around KC, this is the time to go, do, and share findings. And that's just what This Kansas City Mama has plans to do!

What are some of your favorite things to do when on a fun date night? Any great places we have to try? Share them now!

XO,
Andrea



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush