Lent Forty Day Challenge

Thursday, February 27, 2020

I wouldn't say that I'm an incredibly religious person. But I would say that I'm a spiritual person. I don't attend church on a regular basis, but I did as a child and young adult. I do believe in a Holy Spirit. A higher being. Someone watching over us. And I don't think that because I don't attend church, or consider myself uber religious, that it makes me any less of a person who attends church regularly. I try to abide by the Ten Commandments, as all human beings should! I try not to cast stones. And I try to observe Lent every year. And it all starts with Shrove Tuesday, or as we call it, Pancake Tuesday!

So we are on day two of Lent. I didn't attend Ash Wednesday. I did, however, start the Lent Forty Day Challenge that I saw on Facebook yesterday. Have you heard about it? Over the next forty days, instead of giving up something, which I try to do as well, it asks you to Do More! I like that! Do More. My mom does this now. She, like me, gave up things for years, but found that she's a better person by Doing More. So here is the challenge that I chose to accept!

Over the next forty days, fill one bag a day with stuff. Reduce clutter around the house and do something with the things you decide to part with. Like donate to a charitable organization. Recycle things that are a fit for recycling. Throw away things that are truly worth the trash. Or sell the things that you think might be worth something. It's that easy. Or is it easier said than done?

I'm one who loves to try and declutter, but I usually end up making a giant mess, and then I'm overwhelmed and walk away from it all. Then, it's time for bed, and guess what? All that stuff is all over the house! And I didn't so anything more than just make more clutter! Earlier this week, Dr. Nikki Crawford of Your Peaceful Spaces was on Better Kansas City and I chatted with her after her segment about the decluttering your space mindset. I mentioned to her that I get overwhelmed with the mess I have created, and she said that was a result of doing too much! She said start small. A sock drawer. A spice cabinet. A shoe closet. Working in a smaller space will help you feel accomplished without getting overwhelmed at the mess you have made. In other words, don't Marie Kondo that space! I knew I didn't try that fade for a reason!

So, yesterday I started with a space that meant something to me, my new craft room. I've been meaning to organize my new island, but I haven't really felt the urge to do it. You know, motivated to start cleaning out the clutter. Yesterday, I put my mind to it, and got to work. And it felt good! I threw out old craft paint bottles that were nothing put oil. Old fabric glue jars that were dried up and unspreadable. I pitched used sponge paint brushes because I still had them why..... I cleaned the baskets out, restocked them, and gave everything a place. I used cute Mason jars to house beads, crystals, glue sticks, and Popsicle sticks. I gave the space a once over and I loved what it finally looked like! I made a small mess, cleaned it up, and threw one bag away! AND, by cleaning out the old, and making way for the new/usable, I cleaned out a closet in the basement! Day one was complete!






I know I may not get all forty days accomplished and that's okay. I am trying. I am doing more that I would have if I hadn't taken on this challenge. Today, I'm going to task myself with cleaning out my sons closet! It's way over due. I need to clean out his sock drawer, pajama basket, and truly look at sizes that are currently hanging in the closet! Wish me luck. It's no small task!

With that being said, are you going to task yourself with the Lent challenge? Are you the kind of person who gives up something or does more? Let's all share what we plan to do and check in over the next forty days to see how we are all doing! No judgement if we don't complete what we set out to do!! At least we tried!

XO,
Andrea


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
electric toothbrush